10/26/2017 10:08:00 AM TOWNSHIP OF SHAFER: ORDINANCE NO. 2017-01
(October 26; November 2, 2017)
COUNTY OF CHISAGO STATE OF MINNESOTA
AN ORDINANCE TO ADMINISTER AND REGULATE THE USE OF RECREATIONAL MOTOR VEHICLES ON PUBLIC LAND INCLUDING TOWNSHIP STREETS AND TOWNSHIP RIGHT-OF-WAY
THE TOWN BOARD OF THE TOWNSHIP OF SHAFER MINNESOTA ORDAINS:
SECTION 1. Purpose:
To provide for the health, safety and welfare of its citizens and to ensure the integrity of its public lands, streets and right of way, the Township strives to keep its public lands, streets and right of way in a state of good repair.
SECTION 2. Use of Recreational Motor Vehicles:
Subdivision 1. Definitions
1. “Township” means the Township of Shafer, Chisago County, Minnesota.
2. “All-Terrain Vehicle” means a motorized flotation-tired vehicle of not less than three low-pressure tires but not more than six tires, that is limited in engine displacement of less than 800 cu. centimeters and total dry weight of less than 600 pounds.
3. “Off-highway motorcycle” means a motorized, off-highway vehicle traveling on two wheels and having a seat or saddle designed to be straddled by the operator and handle bars for steering control, including a vehicle that is registered under Minnesota Statutes Chapter 168 for highway use if it is also used for off-highway operation on trails or unimproved terrain but expressly excluding a tractor, or any vehicle of a type propelled solely by human power.
4. “Recreational Motor Vehicle” means any All-Terrain Vehicle, Off-highway motorcycle, or other motorized vehicle designed or used for recreational purposes. The term does not include snowmobiles. Subdivision 2. Prohibitions: It is unlawful for any person to operate or knowingly permit the operation of a
Recreational Motor Vehicle:
1. On any portion of the inside, bottom outside slope of any Township ditch.
2. On any portion of the Township street except for the right edge of the traveled portion of the Township street.
3. Nothing in this subdivision shall be interpreted to prohibit the operation of a recreational vehicle on the inside, bottom or outside slope of a state trunk highway, county state-aid, or county highway within the Township.
4. This ordinance shall not apply to any agent or employee of any road authority, law enforcement or public safety agency, or any agency or employee of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources when performing or exercising official duties or powers.
SECTION 3. Penalty:
Persons Violating Section 2, Subdivision 2 shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and shall be punished pursuant to the applicable State statute regarding misdemeanor penalties as may be amended from time to time, plus the cost of prosecution.
This ordinance shall be effective upon its passage and publication in the office newspaper of the Township.