|2/7/2013 9:10:00 AM|
Chisago Lakes Area Schools
District #2144 - MINUTES Tuesday, January 15, 2013
(February 7, 2013)
BOARD OF EDUCATION
Chisago Lakes Area Schools
Chisago and Washington Counties
Tuesday, January 15, 2013
Members Present: Mark Leigh; Thomas Lawlor; Danielle Strenke; Lori Berg; Brenda Carlson; Jerry Vitalis; Molly Sandstrom (Student Rep); Michael McLoughlin, Superintendent and Heide Miller, Director of Business Services.
Members Absent: None.
Visitors: Lindsey Brown, Jeff Lindeman, Bob Meyer, Dave Ertl, Sara Johnson, Joe Thimm, Sarah Meissner, Denise Martin, Brenda Schell, Melissa Kappes, Kathy King, Jessica Mohler, Alison Johnson, Avery Bird, Matt Vos, Brad Falteysek and Joy Peck.
1. The Organizational Meeting was called to order by current Chair Mark Leigh at 6:30 p.m. and began with the Pledge of Allegiance.
2.New Board Member Brenda Carlson took the “Oath of Office.”
3. Current Chairman Mark Leigh called for nominations for Officers: Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Lawlor to nominate Mark Leigh as Chairman which was unanimously approved. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Lawlor to nominate Danielle Strenke as Clerk which was unanimously approved. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Lawlor to nominate Lori Berg as Vice-Chair which was unanimously approved. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Strenke to nominate Thomas Lawlor as Treasurer which was unanimously approved.
4. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to approve the minutes of the school board meeting of December 13, 2012.
5. There were no “Open Forum” participants.
6. Motion by Lawlor, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to approve the accounts payable items as follows: hand payables-general fund $38,933.52; two investments [dated 12-28-2012 MSDLAF+(Affiliated Bank,TX)-CD yield .25% purchased $248,000.00 due 6-28-2013 and dated 12-28-2012 MSDLAF+(Quantum Nat. Bank, GA)-CD yield .30% purchased $248,000.00 due 6-28-2013]; computer payables dated December 21, 2012 for check numbers 105177 through 105315 in the amount of $226,217.59; and computer payables dated January 15, 2013 for check numbers 105316 through 105481 in the amount of $3,376,859.55.
7. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to approve the $16,500 Community Garden Grant at the High School.
8. Motion by Berg, seconded by Lawlor and carried unanimously to approve the financial audit for fiscal year ending June 30, 2012 as presented by auditors Brad Falteysek and Matt Vos from the firm of Abdo, Eick & Meyer.
9. Student Enrollment figures: There were 3,361 students grades K-12 as of January 3, 2013.
10. The Taylors Falls Parents For Education Minutes of December 17, 2012 were reviewed for informational purposes.
11. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to accept the donations from the Center City Firemen’s Relief Association as follows: $300 for the Girls/Boys Basketball programs and $320 for Middle School Wolf Ridge Scholarships.
12. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to approve all Chisago Lakes ISD #2144 Health and Safety Plans.
13. Discussions were held with regard to All Day Every Day Kindergarten, Referendum Planning and Budget Reductions. Re: ADED Kndg, input was shared from studies and input from administrators, certified staff and parents. The cost of implementing an All Day Every Day Kindergarten program (which is not fully funded by the State), would be estimated as costing the district $300,000. A motion was made and withdrawn; no action taken.
14. Budget Reductions and a Fall Referendum were briefly discussed.
15. Motion by Berg, seconded by Vitalis and carried unanimously to approve the Certified Staff Seniority List for 2012-2013.
16. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Strenke and carried unanimously to approve the first reading of Policy 502 with a suggested change before the second reading.
17. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to adopt the IRS mileage reimbursement rate which increases by one cent effective January 1, 2013 to 56.5 cents per mile.
18. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to approve the Chisago County Press as the official newspaper for 2013.
19. Chairman Leigh reviewed 2013 COMMITTEE appointments and a few revisions were made. The list is available on the district web page.
20. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to approve the official depositories as follows for the 2013 calendar year: The Central Bank, Chisago City; Lake Area Bank, Lindstrom; Central Bank, Center City; US Bank, Chisago City; Wells Fargo Bank, Minnesota; Minnesota School District Liquid Asset Fund Plus, Minneapolis; Anchor Bank, St. Croix Falls; Security State Bank of Marine; Bremer Bank and any additional depositories through the year to accommodate the investment portfolio of the school district.
21. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to approve all existing school district policies.
22. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Lawlor and carried unanimously to keep the School Board per diem rates as follows (which is no change): $ 45 per meeting; $125 per day for all day meetings; $75 per half-day meetings; $600 per year for the Chairman and Clerk; $300 per year for the Treasurer; and $30 Vice-Chair extra per meeting when Chair is absent.
23. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to set the following sub rates as follows (no change other than a clarification to the sub custodial information):
Sub for Custodial: (clarification) Step I - $10.00/hr (same as current until person reaches 500 hrs*); Step II - $10.50/hr (Once sub custodian reaches 500 sub hrs, pay rate will increase at the beginning of the following FY. Once Step II is attained, person will always remain on that step.) *Hours will roll over each year and have continuous accumulation from year to year in order to reach the initial 500 sub hours.
Sub for Food Service: $9.10/hr (no change) ; and
Sub Teachers: The same as current: $110.00/day and $120.00/day for those that work 50 or more days in the previous school year (long term sub days will not count towards the 50 days). Long term subs are paid at the daily rate of the BA+0 Master Schedule.)
24. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Strenke and carried unanimously to appoint Ratwik, Roszak and Maloney as legal counsel for 2013 and to utilize legal counsel other than the firm of Ratwik as needed.
25. Member Vitalis introduced the following Resolution:
RESOLUTION DIRECTING THE
ADMINISTRATION TO MAKE
REDUCTIONS IN PROGRAMS
AND POSITIONS AND REASONS THEREFORE
WHEREAS, the financial condition of the school district dictates that the School Board must reduce expenditures immediately, and
WHEREAS, this reduction in expenditure must include discontinuance of positions and discontinuance or curtailment of programs, and
WHEREAS, a determination must be made as to which teacher’s contracts must be terminated and not renewed and which teachers may be placed on un-requested leave of absence without pay or fringe benefits in effecting discontinuance of positions,
BE IT RESOLVED, by the School Board of Independent School District No. 2144, as follows:
That the School Board hereby directs the Superintendent of Schools and the administration to consider the discontinuance of programs or positions to effectuate economies in the school district and reduce expenditures, make recommendations to the School Board for the discontinuance of programs, curtailment of programs, discontinuance of positions or curtailment of positions.
Resolution was duly seconded by Berg to approve the foregoing resolution regarding reductions in programs and positions and upon a roll call vote being taken thereon, the following voted in favor thereof: Vitalis, Berg, Leigh, Carlson, Strenke and Lawlor; and the following voted against the same: none; Whereupon said Resolution was declared duly passed and adopted.
26. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously under M.S. 123B.52, subd 2, to delegate authority to sign contracts to the Superintendent or Director of Business Services up to the bid law threshold of $25,000 or after board approval for quotations and sealed bids.
27. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Carlson and carried unanimously to delegate authority to sign tuition agreements for ISD #2144 to Michael McLoughlin, Superintendent; Heide Miller, Director of Business Services; and Jamie Nord, Special Education Director.
28. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to grant authorization for Michael McLoughlin, Superintendent and Heide Miller, Director of Business Services to utilize the school district’s credit card as needed.
29. Motion by Berg, seconded by Carlson and carried unanimously to set the Board meeting dates for 2013 to begin at 6:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted. See dates/updates on the district web page. All meeting dates are subject to change.
30. There were no Community Ed actions.
31. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Strenke and carried unanimously to approve the resignation of Bridget Budig, High School Language Arts Instructor at the end of the 2012-2013 school year.
32. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Strenke and carried unanimously to approve the resignation of Donn Arnold, Track Coach effective next season.
33. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Berg and carried unanimously to approve the Molly Richter, Kndg Instructor is requesting a child care leave of absence approximately April 4, 2013 until June 7, 2013 in accordance with the Master Agreement.
34. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Lawlor and carried unanimously to approve contracts as follows: Susan Racine, long term Substitute Teacher at the Primary School effective January 2, 2013 through approximately February 4, 2013; Jean Johnson, Administrative Assistant for MCEA beginning January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2014 in the amount of $39,200.88 for each year; Caren Carlson hours and building change 1-2-2013 – TF Kids Club Program Supervisor Schedule C-A 4 hrs/day up to 184 days; Bailey Eichten – change in position effective 1-2-2013; Kids Club Ass’t Program Supervisor and Temporary Program Supervisor through 6-6-2013 (Sched A-B 1.75 hrs/day; Sched C-A 4 hrs/day) up to 184 days; Amy Bergquist, PS Kitchen Helper commencing 1-7-2013 3.5 hrs/day KH-B; Kristine Yancowsky, PS Special Ed Para commencing 1-10-2013 5.75 hrs/day Sched A-B; Michelle Hamann, HS Kitchen Helper change in certification effective 12-1-2012; and Coaching - Mitch Anderson 9th grade Wresting 50% IV-1 $1,619.00.
35. Motion by Vitalis, seconded by Strenke and carried unanimously to approve the transportation contract(s) for the 2012-13 school year for the following: Verner/Caroline Greene; and Jennifer Anderson.
36. Superintendent McLoughlin shared “good news” that Heide Miller has been appointed to the MN Department of Education Advisory Committee on Financial Management, Accounting and Reporting for a three year term beginning January 1, 2013.
37. Motion by Berg, seconded by Carlson and carried unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 10:18 p.m.
Danielle Strenke, Clerk
Mark Leigh, Chair
(Minutes of School Board Meeting January 15, 2013; website: www.chisagolakes.k12.mn.us)
This document is available in the following formats upon request: Braille, Large Print, Audio Cassette Tape, and Computer Disk. Please call 651-213-2011 for more information or to request a copy.
Article Comment Submission Form